3.00 – 5.30pm – Managing English – How to Spin all of the Plates
This Professional Development course is intended for English Subject Leads.
We are offering these sessions using Microsoft Teams to support flexibility of access.
Presented by: Maddy Barnes
Microsoft Teams access plus supporting resources
Maddy Barnes, is an English Advisor and provides training for schools and alliances locally, nationally and internationally. She is passionate about ‘getting it right’ for children.
Until summer 2018, Maddy worked as a successful assistant head teacher in Manchester. She is a very experienced year 6 teacher and has spent most of her teaching career in Salford. Maddy has also taught in India, China and Poland where she has observed a range of teaching styles.
Maddy has worked with the DfE in English test development for reading and GPS. She is an experienced English marker and team leader for KS2 GPS (she has been involved with trial papers for the future suite of tests). Maddy is a KS2 writing moderator for Manchester.
Maddy is a published author (writing New Primary English, Achieve level 6 and Skills Builders) and series editor (Optional Tests for years 3-5, Spelling tests and the new Achieve series for 2016) with Rising Stars. She has also edited the Moderation Toolkit for Writing with Prim Ed.
Outline for the day/the day will cover:
- To develop ways that engage readers and inspire writers across school.
- To audit current English provision.
- To identify excellent English provision for early reading; phonics and comprehension.
- To explore early writing strategies and creating evidence to support moderating KS1 and KS2 writing.
- To develop strategies and systems to monitor reading and writing standards across school.
- To be inspired by the latest in children’s literature.
- To explore how to engage a real reading and writing community.
- To devise strategies to spin all of these plates!